For the summer of 2021, the City of Calgary has brought us the pilot project of our picnicdreams! Consumption of alcohol is now allowed in designated park locations from June 1st to September 7th, 2021. Keep reading to find out all the details on when, where and how to drink in YYC parks this summer (without getting in trouble)!
Alcohol is permitted at the designated tables only (no roaming through parks with open liquor), and during the hours of 11am-9pm. Keep in mind that not all picnic tables are designated for alcohol consumption. Find more details on which parks have a designated picnic table here!
Tables are available for 2 hour time slots and can be reserved here for the following time slots:
Outside of these time slots, the locations are on a first-come first serve basis. Standard “dibs” rules apply!
Since this is just the pilot project, everyone be on your best behaviour, and maybe someday, we will be able to enjoy a chilled alcoholic beverage in all our favourite parks in YYC!
Things to keep in mind;
- Public intoxication is not tolerated so make sure you know your limit and play within it!
- AGLC requires the alcoholic beverages to stay at the designated tables!
- If a Calgary Police Officer or Peace Officer request the termination of the park drinking, the drinkers must oblige.
- No drinking and driving!
- Please follow all COVID-19 provincial health restrictions, including gathering limits and social distancing requirements.
- Leave the park as you found it and make sure to remove all garbage and empty drink containers before you leave!
If you still want to enjoy some beverages outside, but want to eat hot fresh food that you don’t have to make while you’re doing it, check out our guide on the best YYC patios!