Sure, the leaves have fallen and cool, crisp air meets us outside each morning; you might be thinking that it’s time for winter hibernation season here in Calgary – think again! The Calgary Sport & Social Club (CSSC) is gearing up for their winter league and they want you to be a part of it. Whether you’re a team player or a solo athlete, sports extraordinaire or a newbie to all things recreation, the CSSC welcomes Calgarians of all skill levels to join in on their always-fun, never-boring recreational activities.
Looking for a new way to stay active this winter? This is it, Calgary. With winter league registration opening this Wednesday, October 23, here are seven things you should know before joining their crew:
- The CSSC is a one-stop-shop for all things sports. With over a dozen sports to choose from this winter, you won’t know which one to pursue (psssttt.. you can play in more than one league!). Curling, ball hockey, pickleball, indoor volleyball – the choice is yours! Browse the 2020 Winter Leagues here.
- There are multiple skill levels available for each sport throughout the league. Take squash for instance: you can choose to play singles or doubles, recreational or recreational plus. Perhaps you’re more of a basketball player – there are 5-on-5 teams across all skill levels, whether you want to play against college-wannabes or those new to the game.
- The best part? You don’t have to do it alone! Sign-up with a friend or all your best pals to create a team, come up with your own name and rock this winter league, OR show up here solo and we’ll pair you with a team of individuals just as fun to take on the others and make some new friends while you’re at it. Each year, hundreds of singles sign up to play on individuals teams.
- As regular CSSC league sports are aimed at those ages 18-35, their Legends 35+ Leagues are open for those who wanna have good, recreational fun with people their own age. Badminton, indoor volleyball and ball hockey are just a few of the sports awaiting you this winter league. Learn more about Legends 35+ here.
- With that said, Winter League Registration opens on October 23, so don’t wait until your favourite sports fill up. Register before the early bird deadline for your chance to win free registration and gift cards – yes, you heard us right! Signing up early not only takes one more to-do off your plate, but it makes you and your friends commit early PLUS a chance to win awesome prizes.
Dates you should pencil in for the CSSC’s 2020 Winter League:
~October 23rd: Winter Registration Opens
~November 22nd: Winter Early Bird Deadline
~December 17th: Winter Registration Deadline
~January 20th: Winter Season Begins
- If your competitive spirit starts to come out, or perhaps the league days of the week don’t work for you, consider joining one of the many tournaments offered by the CSSC this winter: volleyball, curling or sno-pitch. These fun days start off light and friendly, but often turn into a rowdy, recreational soiree – the perfect place to kick back, relax and meet new people in a fun, safe setting.
- If league sports sound a bit intense for you, no sweat! The CSSC offers a variety of drop-in sports for you to come test the waters and see what they’re all about. Check out the dodgeball court, turf soccer field, indoor volleyball and basketball court so that you can feel comfortable next league season.
Ready to sign up? Follow this link for all things Calgary Sport & Social Club.