September signals back to school, back to work, back from your summer holidays – all things that take a lot of preparation, adjusting and energy. Now that you’re settled back into your city routine, how about taking a weekend to relax and spend quality time with your friends out on the town? Alberta Beer Festivals (ABF) has evolved their fall events to celebrate community and satisfy your cravings for all things new in one exciting weekend. Their events provide a forum for breweries and distilleries to share their stories, passions and products with alcohol enthusiasts like yourself all across Western Canada.
ABF strives to educate everyone on all thing’s beer-related while also promoting craft beer, cider and spirits created in our own back yard. Working towards creating a new brew culture with positive experiences for everyone, ABF presents its fall event… The MASHING! A term used to also describe the common process used in brewing, distilling and cider making, the MASHING brings together the best distilleries, breweries, restaurants, artists and community in a unique space for a sampling event unlike any other in the world. Here’s everything you need to know about The MASHING 2019:
YOU, and all your fun, drink-loving friends. ABF’s mission is to provide the ultimate beer, cider and spirit experience for you to peruse, taste and indulge in everything The MASHING has to offer.
At the MASHING, you’ll be able to immerse yourself in many of the things ABF believes in – the concepts of grains-to-glass and farm-to-table, all things local, art, culture, community and a strong charitable component – all whilst sampling from incredible distilleries, breweries, cideries and restaurants. With DJs, a live music stage, art installations, photography walls and more, you’ll be transported to a whole new world just by stepping out in your own community.
As if that wasn’t enough, ABF is pulling out all the stops this year. You can expect:
- Over 75 breweries, distilleries, cideries, eateries & more.
- Five stages on two levels.
- Crafted Sessions DJ.
- Dandy Brewing Record Party.
- Wild Rose Brewing Record Party.
- ATCO & Village Brewing Cooking with Beer Demos.
- Live Art Demo with Keegan.
- David Bradford (Musician).
- Nina Tron-Sanoir (Drag show).
- Green Fools (Circus School).
- Jeff Newman (Mentalist).
- Cask Stage.
- Brightside Lounge.
- Games everywhere.
- And more!
Taste, sip, sample and peruse new crafts beers and local creations at the Stampede Grandstand. Enter the festival at the west entrance to walk amongst booths, dance to your favourite tunes and drink until your heart’s content.
The festivities will take place on September 13th from 5-10pm AND September 14th from 4-10pm. Purchase your single or multi-day ticket here.
The real question is…why not?! The MASHING only happens once a year here in Calgary, so you don’t want to wait another 365 days to sample some of Alberta’s finest beer, cider and spirits. ABF strives to have a positive impact in the beer/spirit industry, with local charities and within our community. Learn about and sample brews made so close by that you can practically smell them so you can support local and get to know your neighbours in a fun, positive environment.
Other things you should know:
- Your admission pass does not include food or beer vouchers. These need to be purchased separately at the event: $1/sample voucher, sold in blocks of 10.
- No outside food or beverages allowed. You won’t need them anyway, trust us.
- No re-entry, but who would want to leave this party?! The answer: no one.
- Tickets are non-refundable and not for resale. You won’t want to miss this event, so mark it on your calendar now.
- Tickets are transferable. If you really, truly, absolutely cannot make it, transfer your ticket to a pal so they can experience The MASHING in all its glory.
- No minors allowed; identification will be required. Hire a babysitter and head on down to the drink festival of the year!
For more information on this event, visit ABF’s website here.
If you’re ready to join this new brew culture by sampling, mingling and experiencing new craft beverages with other fellow drinkers, purchase your ticket to this year’s festival ASAP. There’s no better time to sip away on new finds and make new friends in a friendly community than at The MASHING.
Tickets available here.
Kelsey is the Editorial & Events Manager for Date Night. Monday-Friday she works as an independent Marketing & Communications Contractor, providing writing, editing and digital marketing services for small businesses here in YYC. When she’s not busy writing about our city, you can usually find her trying the newest fitness studio, exploring the Rockies or chasing the sun – whether here in AB or halfway across the world.